Welcome to the Communication Arena
As an essential site for communication academics, students, researchers and practitioners, the Arena is updated on a monthly basis to bring you the latest news, special offers, sample articles, calls for papers, conference information and plenty more, so look no further.
Latest news - May 2013
- Free Online Access for 7 Days
Take a look at the Routledge portfolio of Communication Studies Journals with 7 days' FREE access to the last 3 volumes.
Simply sign in/register.
- Russian Journal of Communication: Free access to the new issue
The first issue of Russian Journal of Communication to be published by Routledge is now online!
To explore the issue for free for 30 days sign in/register here.
- Free Access Article from Popular Communication
"@Sweden: Curating a Nation on Twitter" by Christian Christensen
- Free Access Article from Communication Methods and Measures
"Evolutionary Factor Analysis of the Dynamics of Frames: Introducing a Method for Analyzing High-Dimensional Semantics Data with Time-Changing Structure" by Giovanni Motta and Christian Baden
- Communication Education Special Issue Call for Papers
"The Foundation and Future of Instructional Communication", guest edited by Ann Bainbridge Frymier, will commemorate the National Communication Association's 100th anniversary and the history and contributions of instructional communication and communication education to the communication discipline.
Read the full call for papers online.
- Call for Papers: Porn Studies
From 2014 Routledge will be publishing the first dedicated, international, peer-reviewed journal to critically explore those cultural products and services designated as pornographic.
Read the Call for papers here.
- Special Issue: Journal of International and Intercultural Communication
"Out of Bounds? Queer Intercultural Communication" is the theme of the new issue of JIIC.
To read the issue for free sign in/register here.
- Special Issue: Journal of International Communication
The new issue of the Journal of International Communication takes the theme of the 2012 IAMCr conference "South-North Conversations"
- Special Issue: International Journal of Strategic Communication
The newest special issue from the International Journal of Strategic Communication, "Strategic Communication and Consulting", is now available.
- American Journalism: Now Available Online
The first issue of American Journalism published by Routledge is now available online.
- Sign-Up to Receive the JHCLink Electronic Newsletter
Register to receive the FREE JHC Link Quarterly Electronic Newsletter from the Journal of Health Communication.
- ICA Outstanding Article Award
Congratulations to Lance Bennett and Alaxandra Segerberg on winning this year's Award for the iCS paper, "The Logic of Connective Action: Digital media and the personalization of contentious politics"
Call for Papers
More announcements and offers
News - April 2013
- Communication Education Special Issue Call for Papers
"The Foundation and Future of Instructional Communication", guest edited by Ann Bainbridge Frymier, will commemorate the National Communication Association's 100th anniversary and the history and contributions of instructional communication and communication education to the communication discipline. Read the full call for papers online.
- Call for Editor: Journal of Mass Media Ethics
Routledge, Taylor & Francis and the Media Ethics Division of AEJMC are seeking nominations for the next editor of the Journal of Mass Media Ethics
- New Special Issue from The Communication Review
"Audiences: A Cross-Generational Dialogue", guest edited by Ranjana Das, is now available from The Communication Review
- Free Access Article: Journal of Public Relations Research
Tom Kelleher and Kaye Sweetser, "Social Media Adoption Among University Communicators"
- Popular Articles from The Review of Communication - Free Access!
For 14 days' free online access to a selection of the most-read articles from The Review of Communication register/sign-in at www.tandfonline.com/r/roc.
In his latest Editorial, the new editor, Pat Gehrke, outlines the missions of The Review of Communication for the next three years.
- Free Access Article: Journal of Radio & Audio Media
Joshua M. Bentley, "A Uses and Gratifications Study of Contemporary Christian Radio Web Sites"
- Coming Soon: Russian Journal of Communication
The First issue of RJC to be published by Routledge is due in the coming weeks, with articles covering a wide range of topics included, Pushkin; Vertov; Cold War communication sciences; and a forum on the stae of the Russian language today. Sign-up for RJC Alerts to be among the first to read this new issue. You may also wish to recommend the Russian Journal of Communication to your librarian.
- New Special Issue from Popular Communication
"Geopolitics and the Popular", a new special issue from Popular Communication, is now available online.
- Free Access Article: First Amendment Studies
Dale A. Herbeck, "Rereading New York Times v. Sullivan: The Importance of Procedure in Libel Cases"
- Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies
Among the latest articles published in CC/CS is a series of interviews conducted by the Editor, James Hays, with key individuals who, over several decades, have represented "critical studies", "cultural studies", and/or "media studies". Interviewees include Umberto Eco, Lawrence Grossberg, and Gtuart Hall.
- New Special Issue from Western Journal of Communication
"Dynamics of Relational Maintenance", a new special issue from Western Journal of Communication, is now available online.
- Chinese Journal of Communication Special Issue Call for Papers
This forthcoming special issue of CJC, "The Sent-Down Internet: Information & Communication Technologies in Rural China", is a guest editor by Elisa Oreglia and seeks submissions on all aspects of ICT use in rural China.
- Association of Internet Researchers Special Issue
The latest Information, Communication & Society is the annual AoIR conference special issue. Read the introduction article for free, "Marking a Major Milestone".
- New Special Issue from Journal of Broadcast & Electronic Media
"Emerging Methods for Digital Media", guest edited by Jean Burgess, Axel Bruns, and Larissa Hjorth, is now available online from Journal of Broadcast & Electronic Media
- Free Access Article: Qualitative Research Reports in Communication
Kesha Morant Williams, "Buddy: Focus Group Research on the Perceived Influence of Messages in Urban Music on the Health Beliefs and Behaviors of African American Undergraduate Females
- Free Access to Routledge Communication Journals with STAR
If you're based in Africa, South Asia, and many parts of South East Asia, you're eligble to register for STAR (Special Terms for Authors and Researchers) which provides one month's FREE online access for individual researchers from emerging regions to support writing and publication. To check if you're eligible to register for STAR, please view the full list of countries. To register, please complete the short registration form
- Special Issue and Free Access from Quarterly Review of Film and Video
The first of two special issues from Quarterly Review of Film and Video, featuring reviews of some of the most noteworthy books in film and video is now available online with FREE ACCESS to select articles.